Avalakki sihi huggi or Avalakki sweet pongal is very easy and super delicious sweet. avalakki khara huggi / avalakki pongal and this sweet is a perfect combination for breakfast or even for unexpected guests.
Try this khara huggi/pongal using avalakki as well. Try these avalakki recipes like avalakki bisibele bhath, avalakki oggaraNe , AValakki chivda and find more AVALAKKI Recipes HERE
Ingredients for making Avalakki sweet Pongal:
- 1 cup gatti avalakki | Thick Poha
- 1/4 cup hesaru beLe / split green gram / moong dal
- 2 to 4 tbsp ghee or coconut oil ( for vegan option)
- around 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut / kobbari
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp raisins and 7 to 8 cashews broken into pieces
- 4 to 5 cardamoms (powder it and keep it ready)
- 2 cups of water
- Wash and cook the moong / bele on medium heat with 1 cup of water. stir in between.
- while cooking the dal, make sure there is enough water , if it is dry add more water. and cook
- If you are using pressure cooker to cook the moong dal, then turn off the heat after 1 or 2 whistles.
- melt the jaggery adding 1/2 cup of water, then turn off the heat
- Wash the avalakki
- Once the dal is cooked well, add washed avalakki, mix it well. To this strain the melted jaggery , mix it. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes. once it starts t boil add 1 tbsp ghee.
- After 5 to 6 minutes on low heat, if you like add more ghee, mix it well.
- Add grated dry coconut, mix it. When the pongal becomes thick, then consistency of the huggi is perfect, turn off the heat and add cardamom powder. mix it.
To fry the cashews and raisins:
- Heat a tbsp ghee in a ladle on medium low heat. Once hot add cashew pieces, add raisins when the cashews slightly changes its color. Turn off the heat after the raisins puffs up.
- add it to the huggi and mix it.
- Easy and delicious avalakki pongal is ready to serve.
- The color of the huggi/pongal depends on the color of the jaggery.
- After the huggi/pongal is cooled completely it may becomes dry, in that case sprinkle enough water and heat the pongal once again.