Ganji Majjige and how to cook rice on stovetop.
We are into this modern fast paced era we use pressure cooker to cook everything. Use of pressure cooker is time saving and energy saving. But I feel some dishes are tasty when cooked on stove top .
One of them is rice. Some people say eating the rice cooking this way helps in weight reduction too. We can use the starch (excess water we get while cooking the rice on stovetop ) from this cooked rice we call Ganji believed to keep the body cool. With homemade butter milk and seasoning to this starch, the taste is heaven. You can add buttermilk to make ganji majjige or just add seasoning to the Ganji and make Ganji Saaru or Ganji Rasam.
This is 2 in 1 dish and gluten free.
To cook the rice:
- 1 cup rice
- 5 to 6 cups of water
To make the Ganji Majjige:
- 1 to 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli(chopped)
- 1 to 1.5 cups ganji/starch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
- Boil 5 cups of water in big sauce pan.
- Wash and add rice, mix it and allow it to boil on medium heat.
- It takes approximately 18 to 22 minutes for the rice to cook.
- To check take the cooked rice in a spoon, take few grains of cooked rice press it between finger. It should be al dente.
- Drain the starch/ganji to a bowl by covering the mouth of the sauce pan with the lid as shown in video.
- Keep the rice back on stove on low heat for a minute or 2 then turn off the heat.
- Now the rice is ready.
To make the seasoning to Ganji/ganji oggarane:
- heat the oil in ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, then add green chilli
- turn off the heat,
To make the Ganji saaru:
- Make the seasoning add it to the ganji along with chopped cilantro and curry leaves.
- For ganji rasam you can add the seasoning when the ganji is hot.
To make ganji Majjige:
- Make the seasoning, add this to cooled ganji, add coriander leaves, curry leaves, salt,and buttermilk, mix it and serve.