Home made butter and ghee:
Ghee is our age old ayurvedic medicine and taste enhancer, and its high heat cooking ability makes it the perfect oil substitute.
To know more about the benefits of ghee read this Article by Dr.Shivashankar –Virtues of ghee
In this video we have demonstrated how to prepare the buttermilk at home.
- It has fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Ghee helps with digestion, ulcers, and constipation. Ghee promotes healthy skin and eyes. It also promotes learning and memory retention. Ghee is very important during the early development of brain in children.
- Aids in absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods.
- Rich in antioxidants.
To make butter:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream ( I prefer organic )
- Water as needed.
- First, transfer the heavy whipping cream to the mixer.
- Add water as needed.
- Grind it until you get the butter. It takes about a minute.
- Take out the butter, ( if the butter is sticking to your hand,dip your hand in the warm water ) and squeeze the water.
- Transfer the butter to a little larger pan ( this will be helpful if the butter overflows when boiling).
To prepare Ghee:
- Our homemade butter
- pinch of turmeric (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dry roasted methi seeds powder(optional)
- Heat the butter on a medium heat. Let it melt and start boiling.
- You will hear the bubbling noise.
- The main trick to know when the ghee is done, is the sound will stop and it will become golden brown color.
- If there are too much bubbles , hard to see the ghee, just watch that cream particles in the bubble will be golden brown color.Now turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
- If you want to add turmeric and roasted methi seed powder, add it when the butter is boiling.
Now our homemade ghee is ready. Enjoy this with breakfasts,rasam and rice and much more.