This Chutney powder recipe is from my mother.
Chutney powders or chutney pudi are rich in protein, and fiber.This is specialty of South Indian kitchen made of mostly lentils , dried coconut and red chillies .There are many varieties of chutney powder made using garlic, peanut, gurellu, groundnut /peanuts, flax seeds and If you prepare and store these chutney powder is at home, you don’t have to prepare any side dished for dosa, rotti or even for idli. With a dash of home made ghee, you should try the chutney powder with hot rice. You will definitely fall in love with this healthy chutney powder
Along with this Bele chutney pudi you should try these chutney powder recipes as well. – Garlic chutney powder, huchchellu chutney powder, Flax seeds chutney powder, peanut chutney powder, and hurigadale chutney powder.
Ingredients for making chutney powder:
- 1 cup split bengal gram / channa dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- ½ cup dried shredded coconut optional
- 25 dried byadgi red chilies. If you are using other variety use around 15 chillies wrinkled skin variety
- big lemon size tamarind
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch of asafetida/Hing
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- Heat the pan on a medium low. We will dry roast channa dal and Urad dal separately.
- Once the pan is hot add channa dal, stir this dal until it turn golden brown. It will take approximately 8 min.
- Transfer this golden brown channa dal to a bowl, and now dry roast the urad dal. It takes about 4 minutes to turn golden brown.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the pan, add mustard seeds and hing.
- Once the mustard seeds are popped, add red chillies and curry leaves and fry it for few seconds. Then turn off the heat.
- To this, add dried coconut, tamarind, salt,, and dry roasted ingredients. Mix well.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Once this is cool enough, put it into the mixer along with jaggery and grind it to an almost fine powder.
- Now the healthy Authentic chutney powder is ready to eat. Eat with dosai, idli, roti or even with hot steamed rice with a little ghee or oil. Enjoy!