Curry leaves chutney powder / Karibevu Soppina pudi is very healthy and tasty way of incorporating the curry leaves in our diet. Curry leaves / kadi patta are very flavorful leaves used in seasoning to our delicious side dishes. Apart from the flavor, these are source of iron, calcium, fiber and much more nutrients. It improves the digestion also.. Here I am using only 1.5 cup of curry leaves to make the podi, if it is available please use 3 to 4 cups of curry leaves.
- 1.5 to 2 cups packed curry leaves washed and dried on towel
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup dried coconut shredded or pieces
- 20 to 25 Byadagi dried red chillies ( I used 20 byadagi and 5 guntur for the extra spice
- 3 TBSP Jaggery You can reduce the amount
- small lemon sized tamarind
- 1.5 tsp salt
For Seasoning :
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- little Hing / asafetida
- Heat the pan on medium heat. Dry roast chana dal and urad dal until it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and dry roast the curry leaves until the leaves becomes crunchy.( there should not be any moisture left in the leaves )
- Now heat 2 tsp oil, once the oil is hot add hing and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, add red chillies and roast them until the chillies becomes just warm.
- Turn off the heat and add all other ingredients except jaggery. (because of the heat jaggery may melt) Mix it and allow it to cool.
- Once it is cool enough, add jaggery and grind it to a semi coarse powder. Transfer it to a bowl. Mix it well.
- Let the powder cool completely before you store it in a container.