Healthy and tasty dill leaves / sabbassige soppu / sabsige soppu chutney for rice, idli, dosa. With simple ingredients like dals, coconut and this dill leaves we can make delicious side dish. In this recipe onion and garlic is optional. This is gluten free, vegan side dish.
Few of the benefits of dill leaves are:
Dill leaves are healthy greens which are
– anti inflammatory,
-helps to boost the digestion
-helps in reducing insomnia
-menstrual and respiratory discomforts
For joint pain eat a handful of raw dill leaves any time of the day.
Try this tasty chutney for dosa, rotti or goes well with rice as well.
Ingredients for Dill leaves chutney:
- 1 bunch dill leaves / sabbasige soppu
- 1/2 cup coconut(fresh)
- 3 tbsp split black gram / urad dal(uddina bele)
- or channa dal(kadale bele ) or toor dal (togari bele)
- 1/2 of small onion- chopped
- little tamarind soaked on water
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp jaggery
- 4 byadagi red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- 3/4 tsp to 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp for frying the dill leaves and dal
- 2 tsp
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves.
- Separate the leaves from the stem( if it is render you can use the stem as well. then wash it and keep it ready
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan on medium low/low heat, once hot add urad dal and fry it until the dal turns light golden brown.
- Once the dals turns golden brown, add chillies, fry it for few seconds, add cut onions,
- if you like to add garlic adda clove of garlic,
- Once the onions are slightly done add chopped dill leaves and stir it for a minute
- After a minute, turn off the heat and add coconut, salt, mix it and let it cool before we grind
- Grind this cooled mixture along with tamarind, jaggery and little water to a fine consistency
- If this chutney is for rice make it little thick consistency, for idli, dosa… add a little more water
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium low heat, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it sputters add red chilli pieces(optional) turn off the heat and add curry leaves
- Add the seasoning ot the chutney. Chutney is ready to serve.