Heerekayi Chutney – detailed step by step video instructions. This is No Onion No Garlic Recipe .
The taste of chutney prepared using the vegetables are so heavenly and healthy. Simple yet finger-licking chutneys can be prepared using any vegetable of your choice, to name a few cabbage, carrot, cauliflower….. I am sharing the Ridge Gourd /heerekayi chutney recipe here. You might have eaten the chutney using the ridge gourd peels, here i am using the whole vegetable. It is a must try chutney goes well with hot rice with little ghee/oil, dosey, idli, rotti, rotis…
Ingredients For Making Heerekayi Chutney:
- 1 heerekayi/ridge gourd
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- ¾ tsp uddina bele/urad dal
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- marble size tamarind
- around 1 cup water
- guntur red chillies 4 , byadgi red chillies 5
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele/urad dal
- 1 red chilli
- Wash and peel the ridges not the whole skin. and cut into small cubes
- Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add urad dal,fry it until the dals turns golden brown then add coriander seeds, mix it and turn off the heat
- Transfer this to a plate and keep the pan back. Heat 3/4 tbsp of oil and fry the heerekayi until it becomes tender. turn off the heat allow it to cool
- Once the cooked heerekayi cooled completely, grind cooked heerekai along with coconut, salt, fried dal and chillies, tamarind and just enough water to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl
- Heat the 1 tsp oil in a ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, when it pops add urad dal, fry it until it turns golden brown, add red chilli, mix it and turn off the heat,
- Pour it on the chutney and healthy and delicious heerekai chutney is ready to serve with any breakfast dish and goes well with rice too.