Majjige huli recipe video with tips and instructions!
Majjige HuLi is a very popular dish in karnataka. Ash gourd/boodugumbala kaayi/Winter melon is a low calorie vegetable, ideal for diabetes and is good for weight loss. Its alkaline nature neutralizes acid in the stomach and helps to cure peptic ulcers. Drinking the ash gourd juice on an empty stomach helps to reduce the peptic ulcer. Here is the recipe for Ash gourd majjige HuLi.
- 2 to 3 cup cut winter melon / ash gourd
- Around 2 tsp salt
- curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 cup butter milk or 1 1/4 cup yogurt cup Yogurt
- Around 2 to 3 cups of water
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1.5 tbsp channa dal (soaked in water for 2 hrs)
- 1 to 2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
- 1 tsp jeera
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- pinch of hing
- 1 dried red chilli cut into pieces. or you can use curd chilli
- Cook the ash gourd/boodhu kumbaLakaayi in a thick bottom pan along with 2 cups of water, curry leaves, salt, and turmeric powder.
- While it is cooking, grind the masala (coconut, soaked dal, green chillies, coriander seeds, jeera, coriander leaves) into a fine paste.
- Add this to the vegetable and let it cook on a medium low heat.
- Now add butter milk or if you are using yogurt pulse the yogurt with a little water and add this to the boiling mix.
- Add water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Let it boil for some for 10 minutes and then turn off the stove.
- Heat the oil in a ladle and add hing, cumin/jeera.
- When jeera starts popping, add dried red chili and turn off the heat.
- Pour it on the Majjige HuLi.
- Majjige HuLi is ready to serve with hot rice or akki rotti.