Kashaya Powder is an Ayurvedic health drink mix, making kashaya using this powder will be very good during winter seasons to keep the body warm and healthy.
Malnad region and even coastal Karnataka morning beverage is always kashaya. With fresh aroma of the roots, seeds and made with fresh milk will wake you up in the morning. This kashaya is a hot beverage which has many health benefits, it is excellent drink to prevent/soothe the cough, cold and flu symptoms. Prepare the kashaya powder and prepare kashaya and drinking every day will keep your body prakruthis (vata, pitta and kapha) balanced.
Here we have kashaya powder with many ingredients which is not available every where, in that case use basic ingredients which is available in your pantry. You cannot skip coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper, turmeric root(dried). All other ingredients required but not a must.
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds(
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 2 1 inch piece dried ginger
- 1/4 cup fennel seeds/sompu
- 2 1 inch turmeric root dried
- 10 cloves/lavanga
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/4 cup cardamom peels
- 10 to 15 hippali/long pepper
- 8 to 10 small pieces ashwagandha roots
- 1/2 TBSP neggina mullu
- 2 TBSP vayu vilanga vidanga
- 4 1 inch pieces sogade beru Indian Sarsaparilla
- 1 1 inch jyeshta madhu licorice
- handful of lavancha root Vetiver
- 1 nutmeg/jaikai
- 1 inch baje (Calamus root , Sweet Sledge. Sweet Myrtle, Sweet Flag)
Please watch the video for the pictures of each ingredients and detailed instruction.
- Before you grind the ingredients crush the hard roots using mortar and pestle.
- Then powder all the ingredients in a mixer to a coarse powder
- We have this powder ready, once it is cooled completely, store it in a airtight container.
- Some of the herbs/roots may not be good for certain existing health conditions, please consult your physician before you start this drink.