Millet Pongal or Siridhaanya Pongal video recipe with tipps and instructions.
Pongal is one of the healthiest foods. Perfect blend of carbohydrates. Proteins, and all important nutrients. Normally we prepare the pongal or huggi using rice or broken wheat. Here is the healthy dish using millet. I am using saame / little millet sammek akki one of the siridhanya to prepare this dish.
According to Dr. Khader millets are the best food ever to prevent and cure any chronic illness and Millets believed to be good for diabetic patients since it releases the glucose slowly. All millets are non glutinous grains.
Kannada – English
Navane – Foxtail millet
Harka – Kodo Millet
saame – little millet
Oodalu – barnyard millet
sajje – pearl millet
Raagi – finger millet
jola – Sorghum
- ¾ cup millet(saame/little millet or any millet available)
- ½ cup moong dal
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 2 to 3 TBSP ghee
- Pinch of hing
- 3 to 4 green chillies ( slice or chop) or
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 6 to 8 cashews
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- ½ to ¾ TBSP grated ginger
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups water
Please watch the video for tips and instructions in kannada
- Wash and soak the millet in ¾ cup water. Soaking the millets helps to digest better.
- Dry roast the dal until the raw smell disappears. Wash it and keep it ready.
- Drain the water from the soaked millet. Transfer this millet to a pressure cooker along with washed dal, add 3 cups of water.
- Heat 2 TBSP ghee/oil in a pan, once it is hot enough add hing, add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pop, add cumin seeds, cashews.
- Fry it until the cashews turn light brown, then add green chillies.
- Once the chillies turn white, turn off the heat and add curry leaves and ginger. Mix it.
- Pour this seasoning to the dal and millet mix along with salt, turmeric powder. Mix it and cover the pressure cooker lid, let it cook on medium heat.( turn after the heat after 3 whistles)
- Once the cooker cools down open, add a TBSP ghee, mix it, and enjoy the hot pongal with ghee or chutney.
- Add more water if you feel the pongal is very thick.
- Use any type of millet which is available.