Green Gram Rasam / Hesaru kalu saru –
Saaru or rasam is integral part of south indian meal. We prepare in many different ways and use variety lentils and seeds too. Usually we make rasam with toor dal. In this recipe we are using Green Gram . Try this healthy and delicious saru/rasam with rice.
- ¼ cup hesaru kaaLu / Green Gram / Moong
- 1 big or 2 to 3 small tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 3.5 to 4 cups of water
- salt to taste or 1.5 to 1.75 tsp salt
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- few curry leaves
- small keylime size tamarind soaked in water
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh coconut
- 2.5 to 3 tsp rasam powder/sarina pudi (please see the link in the description box)
- 1 to 2 tsp ghee
- pinch of hing / asafetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- Wash and soak the hesarukaaLu / Moong beans in 1 cup water overnight or 5 to 6 hours.
- Drain the water from the soaked Moong / kaaLu , then pressure cook the kaLu with 1.5 to 2 cups of water, tomatoes, turmeric powder and oil on medium high heat
- turn off the heat after 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released from the pressure cooker – Either you can mash the cooked beans as shown or you can take a cup of cooked beans and grind it and add it back to the pan
- In the same mixer jar , grind coconut, salt, rasam powder and tamarind (make sure to remove the seeds from it) and some water to a fine paste.
- Add this paste to the pan, add another cup or more water to the rasam to get the right consistency.
- Add jaggery, and curry leaves, mix it and let it cook on medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes
- after 12 to 15 minutes on medium heat – Rasam is almost ready.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat.
- Heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot add hing, mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds sputters, add jeera, as the jeera slightly changes color turn off the heat
- Now Hesarukalu / Moong bean rasam is ready to Serve. Serve hot rasam with rice and ghee.
- If you like to add garlic to this rasam, add 1 to 2 cloves of garlic for grinding along with coconut..