Hunase saaru is the tastiest, easiest saaru we can think of. Very healthy and nutritious drink! This is also called goddu saaru . This rasam can be a drink or you can eat with rice.
Main ingredients are Tamarind and jaggery.
Some of the Benefits of jaggery:
Good jaggery purifies the blood, good for digestion, reduces pitta imbalance, source of iron,
Benefits of tamarind are:
reduces pitta imbalance
For other easy Saaru or rasam Recipes CLICK HERE on RASAMS
Ingredients for making hunase saaru:
- key lime size tamarind soak in 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 4 tbsp jaggery ( check the sourness of the tamarind and then add required amount of jaggery) ( you can soak the jaggery in water or dissolve the jaggery by heating the jaggery water to clean it )
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies( broken into small pieces)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Heat the ghee in saucepan on medium low heat.
- Once the ghee is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, and red chillies.
- Now add curry leaves, mix it and add 1 cup water, add jaggery, I have this soaked jaggery water so that I can strain it to remove any impurities. or you can melt this jaggery in 1/2 cup of water on medium heat and strain that to this)
- Allow it to boil
- Once it starts to boil, squeeze all the tamarind extract, add it to the boiling jaggery water along with the salt and let it boil for a minute., I used little more than 3 cups of water.
- After a minute add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat,
- If you like you add coconut milk too. now hunase saaru is ready to drink or eat with rice