Jackfruit seeds Rasam or Halasina Bijada saaru is very healthy and delicious Karnataka – especially Udupi style recipe.
Saaru or rasam is integral part of south indian meal. We prepare in many different ways and use variety lentils and seeds too. Here is the seasonal jackfruit seed saru recipe. Whenever you bring the jackfruit, don’t discard the seeds, save it and use later. If you have refrigerators, remove the outer white skin and freeze the seeds, and use it for making sambar, rasam and add it to soppina huLi.
Recommended is Udupi rasam powder for this recipe, else you can use any rasam powder
Some of the benefits of Jackfruit seeds:
Rich in protein
Good source of fiber
Good source of potassium, and iron
Provides good source of energy,
Promotes healthy skin, it also helps in hair growth.
- Around 14 jackfruit seeds(take less if it is big or more if the seeds are small)
- 1 tbsp Sarina pudi/rasam powder
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 to 4 cups or water as needed
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 to 3 tsp jaggery
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 green chillies
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- few curry leaves
- small key lime size tamarind (wash and soak in water)
- 2 tsp ghee or oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- it is a must to remove the top white skin from the seeds. either cut the seed and remove or hit it and remove the skin and keep it ready.
- Now pressure cook the seeds with 1 cup of water on medium heat.Turn off the heat after 4 whistles.
- After the cooker cools down completely, remove the another brown layer from the seeds.
- Discard any black colored seeds, and grind the seeds to a fine paste adding enough water.
- Transfer the paste to a pan, rinse the mixer jar and add that water too. Mix it .
- Now squeeze the soaked tamarind, add salt, add the slit green chillies jaggery, and curry leaves along with the cooked water. Mix it well and allow it to to boil.
- Either you can grind the coconut with water or add water to the grated coconut and squeeze the coconut milk to a cup.
- Now add rasam powder to the rasam and add coconut milk. Let it boil for a minute or 2 . Then add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat. Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Add enough water to get the rasam consistency.
- heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it splutters add jeera, hing. Turn off the heat and add turmeric powder
- Pour the seasoning on the rasam, mix it. Rasam is ready to serve.
- Eat this Jackfruit seeds rasam with rice.
- Make sure not to use the seeds from freshly cut jackfruit. let it dry for a day or 2 so that you can remove the skin easily.don’t save the broken seeds
- If the seeds are dry soak it in water overnight.
- Never use the outer white skin of the seeds.