Lemon Rasam or nimbe hannina saaru / limbe saaru / limbe rasam is very easy, soothing drink. This is the recipe which can be prepared under 10 minutes. Soothing spicy and tangy soothing drink best in winter as well. This is No onion No Garlic recipe and gluten free(use gluten free hing)
Saaru or Rasam is one of the main side dish in south indian meals. When you begin your meals, always start with any liquid items with rice like saaru, menasina saaru/pepper rasam, or tambuli. It is believed to help in digestion of the remaining food we consume. Also end you should end with buttermilk rice.
Saaru is one of dishes we make (especially in south India) for almost every day meal.
- Juice of 1 to 2 lemons or
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp lemon / lime juice
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- jaggery to taste( I have used around 4 tsp)
- 1 tsp rasam powder / saarina pudi
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp ghee
- pinch of hing (use gluten free hing for gluten free option)
- 1/2 ts mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 green chilli(slit or chopped )
- keep the water to boil in a pan on medium heat
- Heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add hing, mustard seeds
- After it sputters add jeera, once the jeera changes its color add green chillies, fry it for few seconds then add curry leaves, and turn off the heat.
- add the seasoning to the boiling water along with rasam powder, turmeric powder, jaggery, and salt, and let it boil on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes
- After 6 to 8 minute … add coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat
- now squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the rasam. Mix it well.
- Drink hot or eat with hot rice.
- This is ನಿಂಬೆ ರಸದ ಸಾರು – lemon rasam,you may feel it is sour, if so reduce the lemon juice or add little more jaggery to your taste.