Udupi rasam recipe. Saaru or Rasam is one of the main side dish in south indian meals. When you begin your meals, always start with any liquid items with rice like saaru, menasina saaru/pepper rasam, or tambuli. It is believed to help in digestion of the remaining food we consume. Also you should end your meals with buttermilk rice.
Saaru is one of dishes we make (especially in south India) for almost every day meal. Here is the recipe to prepare udupi rasam using the Udupi rasam powder saaru/Rasam with bele/toor dal.
Looking for other saaru recipes? CLICK HERE
For Udupi Rasam powder Recipe CLICK HERE
- ¼ cup toor dal(ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ)
- 1/2 tsp oil(ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder / arishina(ಅರಿಶಿಣ)
- 2 medium size tomato(ಟೊಮಟೊ)
- 1 TBSP Udupi Rasam Powder \ saarina pudi(ಸಾರಿನ ಪುಡಿ)
- ½ TBSP salt(ಉಪ್ಪು)
- little jaggery(ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- little lemon juice(ನಿಂಬೆ ರಸ)
- small lemon size tamarind soaked in water(ಹುಣಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು)
- Chopped cilantro(ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
- few curry leaves(ಕರಿಬೇವು)
- 2 to 4 cups water(ನೀರು)
- 2 tsp ghee(ತುಪ್ಪ)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds(ಜೀರಿಗೆ)
- ¼ tsp saasive/mustard seeds(ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- Pinch of hing(ಇಂಗು)
- Wash and pressure cook the dal in 1 cup water along with turmeric powder, oil and tomatoes, on medium heat for 3 whistles. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Take salt, jaggery and tamarind extract in a medium size sauce pan, boil it on medium heat
- once the pressure is released from the cooker, remove the skin from cooked tomato, mash it, add dal and mashed tomato to the above boiling mix. Add water if needed, let it boil.
- add curry leaves, add rasam powder, add enough water to get the rasam consistency.
- Now add rasam powder, mix it and allow it to boil.. add chopped coriander leaves.turn off the heat.
- Heat the ghee in ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, once it pops add jeera, then hing. Turn off the heat, pour this on the rasam. If you like you can squeeze some lemon juice.
- Mix it and drink or eat with rice with little ghee on top.