Avalakki Oggarane orAvalakki Umpa or Seasoned Poha is very easy, quick and simple breakfast menu. Also it is a quick snack in the evening. We have three varieties of avalakki/poha, Gatti avalakki(thick), medium avalakki and thin also known as paper(telu) avalakki. I already gave the recipe of Thin masala avalakki. For this avalakki oggarane we use either medium or thick one. Here is the simple Karnataka style recipe to the wonderful dish Avalakki uppittu.
Here we have used only onion but you can use fresh peas, mixed vegetables, capsicum or bell pepper or vegetables of your choice. Or you can skip the onion and make NO Onion Breakfast.
Interested in more interesting delicious Avalakki recipes? Try these – Mosaravalakki, avalakki pongal, masale paper avalakki.
- 3 cups medium Poha/medium avalakki
- enough water to wash the poha/avalakki
- few curry leaves
- 3 to 4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal and
- ½ tsp chana dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 to 6 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp jeerige menasina powder ( chillies looks like this, dry it and powder it or you will get the dried chillies)
- 1 big onion(optional)
- 1 tbsp groundnut/peanuts
- Wash and drain the water
- Finely chop green chillies, coriander leaves and onion
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds, after it splutters add urad and chana dal.
- once dals turn golden brown add chillies, after 30 seconds add peanuts.
- after peanuts are done, add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute it for a minute
- Add turmeric powder, mix it, add washed avalakki. Mix it well.
- Now add salt, add jaggery and jeerigemenasina pudi(if you have it)
- if you feel it is too dry sprinkle some water and mix.
- Add coconut oil, coriander leaves, lemon juice, mix it and fry it for few minutes. FInally add grated coconut, turn off the heat.
- mix it well and avalakki oggarane is ready to eat!