Avalakki Pongal – Detailed instructions and tips watch the video.
Pongal is one of the healthiest foods. Perfect blend of carbohydrates. Proteins, and all important nutrients. Usually the pongal is prepared with the rice and moong dal where you have to cook the rice too, here in this easy breakfast recipe we are using the avalakki or Poha or Aval instead of rice makes it quick and easy breakfast for working women.
For more avalakki recipes click here on AVALAKKI RECIPES
Ingredients for making avalakki pongal:
- 1.5 cup gatti avalakki / thick poha/aval
- ¾ cup moong dal
- ½ cup grated coconut/dried coconut
- 6 to 8 green chillies
- Little tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tbsp salt
- Small piece of jaggery
- 8 to 10 cashews
- 1 to 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds(powder it)
- Around 20 black pepper(powder it)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp jeera
- 15 to 20 Curry leaves
- Chopped coriander seeds
- Wash and cook the moong dal with 3 cups of water on stove on medium heat .Make sure to stir in between.
- Wash and soak the avalakki for 10 to 15 minutes with 2 to 2.5 cups of water.
- Powder jeera and pepper,
- Coarse grind the green chillies (alternatively you can chop this)
- Now heat the oil in pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pops add jeera, and the cooked dal along with turmeric powder,green chillies and curry leaves.
- Then squeeze the tamarind pulp to it.
- Add jeera pepper powder, jaggery, and salt, Mix it and let it boil for a minute. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the soaked avalakki, mix it . Add coconut, mix it well and let it boil on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Put some ghee mix it.
- Now heat a tbsp ghee in ladle, fry cashews until the cashews turn golden brown.
- Add this to the pongal. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy the hot Pongal!
- Amount of ghee depends on you! More you add, it will be good 🙂
- You can squeeze some lemon juice at the end.