AvarekaaLu uppittu is very delicious and easy to make breakfast dish. Uppittu can be prepared in many different ways, but this is the way my mother makes it.
- 2 to 2 1/4 cup avarekaaLu
- 1 cup akki tari or bansi rave
- 3 cup water
- 1 tbsp jeerige
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
- around 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
To make akki thari:
- take regular rice, grind it and sieve it , use the fine flour for making rotti, use the thari to make uppittu
- Pressure cook avarekaalu with 3 cups of water on medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles and then turn off the heat
- Crush pepper and jeera using mortar and pestle, keep it ready.
- Dry roast the akki thari until it slightly changes its color.
- If it is bansi rave then just warm it.
- Take the cooked avarekaalu in a thick bottom pan along with the water. add salt, let it boil for a minute on medium heat.
- After a minute, add crushed jeera and pepper along with jaggery, oil, and 1/4 of the coconut. Mix it and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat
- After 2 minutes, reduce the heat to low, add roasted rava slowly and mixing continuously
- Then cover it and let it cook on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes,. make sure you stir in between to avoid burning.
- Finally after 5 minutes, add remaining coconut, and 2 spoons of ghhe, mix it, turn off the heat. Cover it and keep it aside for 5 to 6 minutes.
- while uppittu is still warm, grease the hands with ghee, make balls like this and eat it later or you can eat when it is hot.