Cabbage Upma / elekosina uppittu – easy and delicious breakfast recipe with detailed video instruction.
Breakfasts are very important meal to start our day, which provides energy throughout the day. Among our many healthy breakfast foods upma/uppittu is one of the easiest, tastiest and healthiest ones. We can prepare plain and simple upma with roasted rava , seasoning and water, or adding many vegetables and making varieties of upma/uppittu. One of the varieties I really loved in this Upma is using cabbage. This is just amazing. Please do try this.
Ingredients for making cabbage upma:
- 1 cup local rave / coarse sooji / medium rava
- 1.5 to 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- cut and then wash it with salt water and keep it ready
- 2.5 cups of water
- around 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- around 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp uddina bele / urad dal
- 1/2 tbsp kadle bele / chana dal
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 4 to 6 green chillies (finely chopped or slit)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- heat a thick bottom pan on medium heat. and dry roast the rava until the raw smell disappears and turns to light golden brown
- Once the rava changes its color , turn off the heat and transfer it to a plate. let it cool completely before we make the uppittu
To make the uppittu:
- Keep the water to boil
- Heat the oil in thick bottom pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add the dals.
- After the dals turn golden brown add green chillies, as the chillies changes its color add curry leaves
- Now add chopped cabbage, fry it for a minute
- then add water, salt, and coconut(if you are using frozen coconut) cover it with a lid and let it boil.
- Once it starts to boil reduce the heat to low and slowly add the roasted rave and keep mixing it.
- mix it well and gain cover it and cook it on low flame for 5 to 6 minutes
- After to 6 minutes – remove the lid, mix the uppittu / upma again and uppittu is ready , the rave is cooked well. ( if you feel the rava is not cooked then cover it and cook it for a minute or 2)
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves, fresh coconut and mix it. turn off the heat and serve hot uppittu