Gojjavalakki a traditional recipe, where it is served usually at the temples of Karnataka during Ramnavami celebrations. Gojjavalakki/HuLiyavalakki can be prepared in advance and you can store it. This instant recipe is very useful during traveling. Just add water and savor. This gajjavalakki is served in the evenings at temples and homes as prasadams after the pooja.
- 2 cups extra thick Poha / avalakki (ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ)
- lemon size Tamarind (ಹುಣಸೆಹಣ್ಣು)
- 4 tablespoon jaggery powder or crush the jaggery to small pieces for easy grinding (ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- 3 tablespoon oil (ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- 2 tablespoon urad dal (ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ )
- 1 tablespoon channa dal (ಕಡ್ಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ)
- ½ teaspoon hing / asafoetida (ಇಂಗು)
- ½ to ¾ cup peanuts (ನೆಲಗಡ್ಲೆಕಾಯಿ)
- ½ cup shredded dried coconut (ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ ತುರಿ)
- 4 tablespoon rasam powder (ಸಾರಿನ ಪುಡಿ)
- 30 or more curry leaves (ಕರಿಬೇವು)
- 3 teaspoon salt (ಉಪ್ಪು)
- 3 to 4 dried red chillies (ಒಣ ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ)
Watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada!
- First, heat the oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, kind of deep fry the tamarind. After few seconds take it out and allow it to cool.
- To the same oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Fry it until it becomes golden brown.
- Now add red chillies (broken into pieces) and peanuts. Fry until the peanuts become slightly golden brown.
- Add hing.
- Once peanuts are almost done, add curry leaves and fry it for a minute, or until they become crunchy. Now turn off the heat.
- Our seasoning is done.
- Now grind the fried tamarind into powder, then add jagerry, poha and salt to the mixer and coarse grind it.
- Transfer this mix to the prepared seasoning. Add rasam powder and dried coconut, and mix it with your hand thoroughly.
- Now the Instant Tamarind Poha/ Gojjavalakki mix is ready.
To Make Gojjavalakki:
- Take ½ cup of the mix and add ¼ cup of water, mix it and leave it for 15 minutes.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, mix this well again and it is ready to eat.
- Eat this huLi Avalakki as it is or savor with plain yogurt / curd.
- You can store the readymade Gojjavalakki mix for 6+ months in refrigerator.