Healthy breakfast recipe – Green Gram Idli
Healthy, easy and delicious Green Gram Idli or hesaru kaaLu idli. This idli is made with only 3 ingredients – green gram or whole moong, Black gram and Methi seeds,,
Idli is one of the healthy south Indian breakfast . There are many varieties of Idlis we can prepare -to name a few rave idli, pumpkin idli, mallige idli, instant idli and more.
This is another addition to idli recipes green gram and black gram idli.
Ingredients for green gram idli:
- 1 cup green gram / ಹೆಸರುಕಾಳು /whole moong
- 1 tsp menthya / fenugreek seeds
- ½ to ¾ cup split black gram / ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ
To the idli batter add:
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
Yields 22 to 26 idlis
- Wash moong and urad dal separately
- Add around 1.5 cups of water to urad dal and add around 2.5 cups of water to green gram
- Let it soak overnight or 5 to 6 hours. ( instead of room temperature water add warm water to shorten the soaking time)
- Now we have this soaked ingredients, before grinding the green gram, rinse it once again
- Transfer some water from the soaked urad dal to a cup
- grind it to a fine, light and fluffy consistency batter by adding little water at a time. (if you are using the grinder then add all the water), Transfer this batter to a bowl
- Now grind the soaked moong/green gram adding little water at a time
- Consistency should be like this, texture should not be too fine or too coarse, let it be in between
- add green gram paste to the urad dal batter, mix it really well
- Consistency of the idli batter should is very important to get well fermented batter.
- Cover it and keep it aside to ferment (8 hours or overnight)
To make Idli:
- Grease the idli plates with oil or ghee and keep it ready
- Now we have a well fermented batter – mix it well , to the batter add salt, chopped coriander leaves. mix it
- You can make the idli with this simple batter or you can give seasoning to it and then make idlis
- Heat oil in a ladle, once hot add hing, and mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, then add chopped green chillies
- Once the chillies changes its color add finely chopped ginger and fry it for few seconds
- Add chopped curry leaves and turn off the heat
- Add the seasoning to the batter, mix it well. additionally you can add chopped coconut pieces
- Add ladleful of batter to the greased idli plates
- Steam cook the idlis on medium high heat for 12 to 14 minutes. Then turn off the heat and wait for 3 to 5 minutes before you open the lid
- Make sure there is enough water in the steamer.
- Now the idlis are ready, dip the spoon in water and remove the idlis one by one.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter, with the given .
- Serve this idlis with Sambar, chutney…