Kadubu recipe | Khaara kadubu | Khara kadubu/ or spicy kolukattai | bele kadubu recipe with detailed video instructions
kadubu is a healthy, protein rich, vegan and gluten free steamed breakfast of south india. Easy to make and very tasty. This is usually prepared on Nagara panchami festival and Ganesh chaturthi. This spicy avi kadubu is healthy and delicious.
In this recipe I have used dals / bele hurna as filling, we can make with rice and urad dal filling as well.
You can use either mixer or food processor to grind the dal.
We have the recipe of khara kadubu and sweet kadubu where I used rice flour to make the outer shell. Here I am in this recipe I soaked the rice and prepared the dough.
Ingredients for making kadubu:
To make the filling:
- 1/2 cup togari bele / toor dal
- 1/2 cup kadle bele / chana dal / split bengal gram
- or you can use 1 cup of any bele / dal
- Coriander leaves
- 8 to 10 green chillies
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
For kanaka dough:
- 1 cup rice
- 1.5 cup water
- Wash few times and soak it with3 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours
- Wash and soak the rice in 1.5 cup water for 3 to 4 hours
- To make the dough / kanaka
- Transfer water from soaked rice to a cup and grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer the rice batter to a thick bottom pan, rinse the mixer jar with the soaked water and add that as well
- Consistency should be like as shown in the video – thin batter like Neer dosa batter.
- Add 1 tsp oil, and a pinch of salt (optional)
- Place this on medium heat, keep stirring until this thin batter becomes a ball / lump then turn off the heat.
- It may take around 5 to 8 minutes . cover it and let it cool)
To make the filling:
- Drain the water from soaked dals toa cup, grind it along with green chillies,
- curry leaves, ginger, fresh coconut, pepper, turmeric powder, salt and water to a coarse consistency. ( it should be like idli batter)
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Now to make Kadubu:
- Take the warm dough in a greased plate, knead the warm dough to a soft, smooth dough.
- You can use tortilla / roti press or banana leaves or parchment paper to roll the dough.
- Grease the parchment paper /banana leaves / plastic sheets, and grease the plate in which we steam cook the kadubu.
- Take a small amount(around golf size ball) make a ball, flatten it and keep in the center of the press, cover this ball with another parchment paper and press.
- place 1 to 2 tbsp of filling in the center, fold the paper and seal it as shown.
- Arrange the prepared kadubu on the greased plate.
- if you are using a rolling pin, place the dough on the greased parchment paper, place another on top and roll it as shown in the video.
- Keep all the prepared kadubu in a greased plate as shown and steam cook this on medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- if you are using a pressure cooker don’t put the whistle on.
- Turn off the heat after 7 yo 8 minutes.
- Kadubu is ready. with the given measurement we can make around 18 to 20 khara kadubu
- If the dough batter is thick, the dough will have the raw rice smell. make sure it is the consistency of neer dosey
- make sure to keep the remaining dough covered until you use
- Before keeping the next batch of kadubu in the steamer add some more water again