Khara bhath is variation of Upma/ uppittu. We use vangibath powder and vegetables of your choice to make it more flavorful and healthy breakfast.
Uppittu is one of the favorite breakfasts in our home . Breakfasts are very important meal to start our day, which provides energy through out the day. Among our many healthy breakfast foods upma/uppittu is one of the easiest, tastiest and healthiest ones. We can prepare plain and simple upma with roasted rava , seasoning and water, or adding many vegetables and making varieties of upma/uppittu.
For Vangibath powder recipe CLICK HERE ON POWDER
- 1 cup local rave/coarse sooji
- 3 green badanekayi / eggplant/ brinjal
- 6 tomato
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2.5 cups water
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp uddina bele /split black gram / urad dal
- ½ tsp kadle bele / split bengal gram / chana dal
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp vangibath powder
- ¾ tbsp salt/salt to taste
- 4 green chillies
- chopped coriander leaves
- few curry leaves
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup grated coconut
- Dry roast the rave and keep it ready.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add dals,
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add chopped green chillies, curry leaves, fry it for few seconds and then add the dry roasted rava.
- keep the pan back on the stove, add 2 tbsp of oil, once hot add cut brinjals/badanekayi, mix it and cover it , cook it for 4 to 5 minutes. STir in between
- Boil the water
- Now to the cooked brinjal add boiling water, salt, vangibath powder. Mix it
- when it starts to boil, add the rave mix. Stir it ,Then add chopped tomatoes. COver it and cook it for 2 minutes , then add ghee.
- mix it and reduce the heat to low. Cover it and cook it on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- after 5 minutes, the khara bath will be ready, finally add coconut, chopped coriander, and squeeze the lemon juice, mix it . Turn off the heat,
- Hot rava bath is ready to serve, serve it with kesari bath( chow chow bath)