Thatte idli is very popular karnataka special breakfast recipe. Thatte is kannada word for plate, idli is shaped as thatte /plate which gave this breakfast the name – Thatte Idli. Tatte idli is made popular by Upahara Darshinis . tatte idlis are served with chutney, and sambar.
Idlis can be prepared with vegetables as well, pumpkin idli
- 2 cups akki thari / idli rave /idli rava
- 1 cup urad dal / split black gram
- around 5 cups of water to soak the rave and dal
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- oil to grease the idli plates
- Wash and soak the urad dal / uddina bele in 3 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Wash and soak the idli rava with 2 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Transfer a cup of water from soaked urad dal to a cup and then grind the urad dal to a fine consistency, add water if needed (Left with 1/2 cup of water.)
- Transfer this urad dal to a big bowl/container
- Now transfer the water from soaked idli rava, squeeze excess water, add the rava to the urad dal batter
- Add a tsp of salt and mix it really well. Cover it and keep it aside to ferment overnight .
- Next day add remaining salt to the fermented batter, mix it well.Idli batter is ready.
To make Thatte Idli:
- Grease the plates with oil
- pour the idli batter to the greased plates (around 1/2 the plate)
- keep the plates in the plate idli stand, lock it
- Steam cook the idli in a pressure cooker without keeping the weight on medium high heat for 20 – 25 minutes . then turn off the heat.
- to check – wet the finger and touch the idli, it should not be sticky. if so cook some more time
- Allow it to cool for few minutes before you take the idlis from the plate
- repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter or you can refrigerate the batter and use it another day( make sure to bring it to the room temperature)