Boondi Laddu Recipe with detailed tips and instructions.
Boondi Laddu or popularly called laadu unde in kannada is one of the traditional wedding sweet. Easiest and tastiest sweet. It is Vegan and gluten free laddu. This Ladoo used to be a very popular during the South Indian weddings, upanayana, or any community get togethers.
Ingredients for boondi laddu:
1 cup = 250ml
For Making Boondi KaaLu:
- 1 cup kadle hittu / Besan / Gram Flour
- pinch of turmeric powder(optional)
- 1/2 cup +1 to 2 tbsp water( water quantity depends on the Besan/gram flour) add water accordingly
For Sugar Syrup:
- 1¼ cup sugar( or you can use 1.5 cup)
- ¾ cup water
- 5 to 8 cloves, (whole or powder 2 to 4 cloves )
- 1 to 2 tbsp raisins
- 8 to 10 cashews(broken into pieces)
- 5 to 6 cardamoms, powder it and keep it ready
- boondi making ladle, or you can use this perforated ladle to make the boondhi
- oil to fry the boondhi
To Make the Boondi :
- Sieve the Besan flour
- Now add pinch of turmeric powder and water little by little to make the batter. Consistency should be like a this. Not too thin and not too thick.
- Heat enough oil to fry the boondi, once hot( to check adda drop of boondhi batter , it has to come up as shown)
- Use perforated ladle or boondi plate , keep the plate 1.5 to 2 inch above the oil,
- Pour a ladle full of batter and do the circular motion like the way you make dosa,
- make sure it is just enough boondis to float on top.
- Fry the boondis until the bubbles are subsides, and turns golden yellow, but not crisp.
- Remove the boondi using a perforated ladle and transfer it onto a paper towel.
- Before you do the next batch wipe or clean the boondi plate.
- repeat the same procedure with the remaining boondi batter
- Fry the raisins until it puffs up, turn off the heat and then add the raisins to prepared boondi kaaLu. I use raw cashew pieces, if you like you can fry that as well.
For Making the Sugar Syrup:
- put water and sugar on medium heat, once the sugar dissolves, boil this on high heat for 6 to 8 minutes,
- Once the sugar dissolves, boil the sugar water on high heat for 6 to 7 minutes, the final consistency should be 1 thread.
- After 7 minutes, check for the consistency, take little syrup in a spoon, touch the syrup with index finger and press against thumb as shown, you should see a thread.
- Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder and cloves.
To Make the Laddu:
- Add cashews to the boondi, mix it and add hot syrup to it. mix it well. cover it and keep it aside for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the boondi absorbs the sugar syrup.
- after 30 minutes,
- mix this well,dip your hand in water, take desired amount of the laddu mix. make a ball.
- if you feel it is hard to make the laddu, take 1/4 to 1/2 the mix, grind it to a coarse powder, mix it and make the laddu.
TIPS AND NOTES:
- Syrup consistency is very important here.
- After adding the syrup to the fried boondi, if the syrup is thin, keep the mix on the stove on low heat, mix it until the syrup along with the boondi becomes thick,
- Then follow the same procedure to make the laddu
- syrup is perfect but if you are not able to make the unde/balls, then grind 1/4 to 1/2 the mix and combine it with the remaining boondi and make the laddu
- if the syrup is too thick, and if it crystallizes too soon(before making the unde/balls) then add 1 to 2 spoons of water, keep it on the stove on low heat until the crystalised sugar melts and come to the desired consistency.