Dumroot or Boodu Kumbalakayi Halwa Recipe:
Dumroot, also known as Ash gourd / boodu kumbala kayi or winter melon halwa, is a wedding menu staple. Along with breakfast, this white pumpkin halwa is served. Either hot or chilled, it is just a delicious and finger licking dessert. This sweet does take long time but I feel it is worth the effort.
- 10 cup grated ash gourd/boodu kumbalakayi
- 2 cup Organic Sugar add more if you like more sweet
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- few saffron strands soaked in milk
- 8 TBSP ghee
- around 1.5 TBSP cashew pieces
- around 1.5 TBSP raisins
- around 1.5 tbsp chopped almonds
- Wash, peel the skin and remove the seeds from ash gourd. Grate it and keep it ready.
- Squeeze most of the water from the grated kumbalakai and keep it aside
- Keep the grated boodu kumbalakai in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat until most of the water evaporates. stir in between
- Once most of the water evaporated, reduce the heat to medium ,
- At this stage add sugar, mix it, You can increase the heat to medium high and keep stirring until the mix becomes thick
- Reduce the heat once most of the water evaporates, add saffron milk, and 2 to 3 tbsp ghee, mix it .
- As the halva becomes thick, it sticks to the bottom of the pan, at that time reduce the heat to low, and keep adding little ghee
- Add cardamom powder and mix, keep stirring until the halva leaves the ghee, you can see the bubbling of ghee . at that stage turn off the heat.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, once hot add almonds, and cashews , after the nuts turn light golden color add raisins, fry it until it puffs up. Turn off the heat , add this to the halva
use of Water from the grated winter melon:
- Add sugar and cardamom powder , make paanaka.
- use it for making sambar
- winter melon juice is very beneficial for people who are suffering from acidity and stomach ulcers. Drink the juice every morning on empty stomach for a month. This is the best Home Remedy for Stomach ulcer and Acidity