Jamun recipe using milk powder.
Gulab Jamun is the Indian mouth watering dessert which is very easy to make. Store bought readymade powder has refined oil. Here, however, we know our ingredients. Here is simple, easy to make Jamun recipe.
Click here for more sweet recipes
Ingredients for Jamun: 1 cup = 250ml
- 1/2 cup maida (all purpose flour) and
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder.
- 1 cup dry milk powder
- oil for frying
- ~1 cup light whipping cream or
- If you are using heavy whipping cream ¾ heavy whipping cream +¼ cup milk
For making sugar syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups water
- pinch saffron
- Oil to fry
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder you can use rose water or your choice of essence
For Sugar Syrup:
- Mix sugar and water in a large pan and bring it to boil.
- Now add cardamom and saffron, and let it boil for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep the syrup aside.
To make the jamun dough:
- Sieve the maida and baking powder, then mix it with milk powder.
- Add the light whipping cream to the prepared jamun mix little by little and mix it.
- Consistency should be a medium hard dough. Keep this aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Before making the balls, heat the oil in a pan on a medium low heat. Amount of oil should enough for the jamuns to completely dipped in.
- Now take a small amount of dough and roll it into a ball. Keep these balls ready.
- Once the oil is hot enough (to check, add a little bit of dough to the oil, it has to come up immediately), add the jamun balls. Make sure there will be enough space for the jamun to fry, since they doubles in volume when frying. (Fry it on a medium heat so the it cooks evenly inside and out.)
- Fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Now take the jamuns out and transfer them onto a paper towel.
- Once they have cooled down, transfer it to the prepared sugar syrup.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Let the jamuns soak in the syrup for 2 to 3 hours (you can eat after 20 to 30 minutes, but soaking it longer time gives you the better taste)
- Refrigerate and serve cold.