Foxtail Millets are the healthiest small grains which are naturally gluten free, can be easily digestible. Also it is protein and fiber rich grain. These millets can be substituted for rice. You can cook this millets and make any dishes which calls for rice.
Here is the simple Kheer recipe using the Foxtail Millet / navane akki.
- ¼ cup navanakki/Foxtail millet
- ¼ cup jaggery
- 1/ 4 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups milk or you can use Almond milk
- 1 cardamom
- ½ cup water
- 1 to 2 TBSP Ghee
- 6 to 8 cashews
- 10 to15 raisins
Please watch video for tips and instructions in Kannada
- Dry Roast the navane in a thick bottom pan on medium heat until it turns light golden brown and allow it to cool.
- Wash it thoroughly and add ¾ cup of milk, pressure cook on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 1 to 2 whistle.
- Grind coconut, cardamom along with little water to a fine paste. Add this to cooked millet.
- Melt jaggery by adding 2 to 3 TBSP water in a different pan and strain the syrup to the cooked millet. Mix it well.
- Keep this on stove and let it boil. Stir it continuously.
- After 5 minute, add a TBSP ghee and add milk. Mix it well.
- Once it starts to boil turn off the heat.( don’t over boil the kheer after adding jaggery)
- Now heat 1 to 2 tsp ghee in a pan, once it is hot enough add cashews , fry it for few seconds .
- Then add raisins and once the raisins puffs up turn off the heat and add this to the Payasa.
- Mix it well, Navane payasam is ready to serve.