Rasmalai is one of our favorite sweets. Popular Bengali sweet Ras malai is made with homemade paneer and Ras the the saffron flavored evaporated milk with just the right amount of sugar and nuts.
The first step is to make paneer, make the knead and make the balls, boil in sugar syrup. FInally add this to the Ras. Refrigerate and serve!
This mouth watering dessert is loved by everyone!
For more sweet recipes – CLICK HERE
For More Snacks CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making Rasmalai:
- 2 liters whole milk (1 ltr for malai pattie, and 1 ltr for Rabri
- 1 cup sugar for making the sugar syrup and 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup for the rabri
- 2.5 cups of water
- 6 almonds
- 4 cashews
- 4 to 6 pista
- 1 pinch saffron
- juice of 2 lemons or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- put some hot milk to saffron and keep it aside
- Keep the milk to boil on medium heat ( 1 ltr milk in separate pan)
Making the Rabri or Ras:
- Boil 1 lt milk in a thick bottom pan.
- Once the milk starts to boil Reduce the heat to low and let it boil until the quantity reduced to half. make sure to stir in between.
- Once the milk is reduced to half, add soaked saffron along with milk and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, let it boil for 5 more minutes
- After 5 minutes.. turn off the heat and add sliced almonds, cashews and pista(leave some to garnish )
- Transfer it to a bowl.
To make the Paneer or Malai:
- Keep 1 liter milk to boil.
- Once it starts to boil turn off the heat.Keep it aside for 2 minutes and then squeeze the lemon juice to the hot milk and stir slowly and leave it for sometime, add more lemon juice if needed to curdle the milk,
- I have used around juice of little more than 1.5 lemon for milk to get curdled, quantity depends on the sourness of the lemon, so add accordingly
- After sometime you can see the milk is curdled, strain it using a strainer or clean cloth, squeeze all the water to a pan.
- Then wash the paneer with water to remove the lemon smell.
- Knead the paneer until you get the soft ball (4 to 5 minutes)
- After 4 to 5 minutes of kneading we have the soft paneer, take desired amount and make a ball, flatten it , and keep it ready.
To make the syrup and rasmalai:
- Take a big flat pan, add water, and sugar and let it boil on medium high heat.
- Add the flattened paneer one by one to the sugar syrup.
- cover it and let it boil for 10 to 12 minutes, if you think the syrup is getting thicker , then keep adding a tbsp water at a time.
- after 10 minutes…. these balls are cooked, turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Now squeeze the syrup from the rasmalai balls, add it to the prepared milk( milk should be warm or at room temperature) let it soak, you can refrigerate rasmalai before you serve.
- take one or 2 rasmalai in a bowl, add more milk, garnish with the some sliced nuts
- Wait for 2 minutes and then add lemon juice to the milk to curdle to get soft rasagulla and rasmalai.
- the leftover water from paneer can be used to make chapathi dough, dals, gravies ….
- and syrup can be used for making payasa, reuse it to make more rasagulla or rasmalai