Amtekayi uppinakayi recipe with detailed video instructions.
Meals without pickle/uppina kaayi is something I cannot imagine. Pickles are very important part of our meal. Nowadays we have so many option, buying from stores, buy from someone who makes at home or you can prepare at home. I always choose the last option, make at home 🙂 For the reason that, I know I am preparing for me, and for my family, so I prepare with love, with known clean ingredients!
Pickles are very easy to make at home.Here is the recipe of Indian hog Plum/amte kayi uppinakaayi/pickle.
- 60 to 70 hog plums/amtekayi
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 TBSP mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup red chilli powder mix byadagi and guntur variety
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch asafoetida/hing
- Wash and thoroughly dry the amtekayi.
- Spread amatekayi and salt in layers in a glass or porcelain dish. (one layer amatekai, one layer salt and repeat)
- Cover it and keep it aside.
- Grind the mustard seeds and keep it ready.
- Mix everyday with a dry spoon to evenly distribute the salt. This is after 2 days.
- After 4 or 5 days, you see the amtekai in salt water. (Amatekai will shrink) This is after 4 days.
- Now add the mustard powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix it and now the tasty pickle is ready.
- Store it in a glass jar and you can store it for years.
- Take little pickle and season it with mustard seeds and hing and enjoy