Nellikai thokku or amla thokku recipe – variety 2
We already have a recipe for nellikai thokku where we use raw amla, here in this recipe we are cooking the Amla / nellikai and making the thokku. As we all know gooseberry or nellikai is very beneficial to health. To name a few amla are rich source of vitamin C along with many minerals, calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, Vitamin B Complex and carotene. Amla fresh and dried are used in Ayurvedic medicine. According to Ayurveda, Amla balances all three doshas. Also used for hair care, eye care, helps in calcium Absorption, treating menstrual cramps, helps in digestion and absorption of food and also strengthens the heart muscle and so on…
It is bettada nellikayi / Amla season in India. Make sure to use it as much as possible and prepare the pickles to use it later in the year. Try this delicious nellikai thokku / amla thokku .
Other amla recipes includes Nellikai thokku using raw amla, Amla juice, Amla pickle, Amla leha.
Ingredients for nelikai thokku:
- around 10 Nellikayi / Amla /Gooseberry
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp roasted menthya powder / methi powder
- 1/2 tsp jeera powder / cumin powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp hing / asafetida
- 4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- wash and pressure cook the amla/nellikayi on medium heat and turn off the heat after 1 whistle.
- dry roast around 3 tbsp methi seeds on low heat. turn off the heat once the methi seeds turns golden brown. Once warm, grind it to a fine powder
- Once the cooker is cooled completely, remove the seeds from the cooked nellikayi and grind it to fine paste.
- Heat the thick bottom pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds
- After it pops add hing, turmeric powder, keep mixing it and add jeera powder, methi powder,
- add nellikai / amla paste
- Reduce the heat and fry it for a minute or 2. Then add salt, add chilli powder , mix it well .
- Fry it on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- then add salt, chilli powder, mix it well. Fry it on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the raw small disappears and most of the water is evaporated.
- Then turn off the heat and let it cool.