Sambar Powder is readymade masala to make the Instant Sambar. Sambar or huLi is one of our staple everyday side dishes for rice. Sambar powder is our ready powder which saves us from frying the ingredients everyday and grinding the masala. When you in hurry, just cook dal and vegetables and add this powder along with tamarind and Sambar is done.
Some people use cinnamon in this powder, but my mother says, for all sambar chakke/cinnamon is not needed, only when you make certain sambar then it is a must, like Pumpkin Sambar, Onion and Potato sambar like that.
Interested in Sambar recipes ? Check these- Pumpkin Sambar, Onion and Potato sambar , Sambar for idli, mixed vegetable sambar, moolangi sambar, soppu kaLuSambar, Basale soppina sambar and cucumber sambar , bendekayi sambar….
- 1 ½ to 2 TBSP oil(ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- ¼ cup chana dal(ಕಡ್ಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ)
- ¼ cup urad dal(ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ)
- ¼ cup jeera/cumin seeds(ಜೀರಿಗೆ)
- 2 tsp methi seeds(ಮೆಂತ್ಯ)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds(ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder or(ಅರಿಶಿನದ ಪುಡಿ)
- small 1/2 inch turmeric root(ಅರಿಶಿಣದ ಕೊಂಬು)
- 1 tsp black pepper(ಕಾಳು ಮೆಣಸು)
- ¼ tsp hing(ಇಂಗು)
- 1 cup coriander seeds(ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ)
- 1 to 1½ cup grated dried coconut/kobbari(ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ ತುರಿ)
- 100 to 110 byadagi red chillies
- 40 to 50 guntur red chillies
watch the above video for more detail instructions
- Dry roast the coconut until it is warm on medium low heat Transfer this to a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough,add hing,add channa dal and urad dal. Fry it.
- Now mustard seeds, jeera, methi seeds and black pepper, fry it until the dals turns golden brown.
- The add red chillies. Fry this until the red chillies becomes warm.
- Add coriander seeds and dried coconut. Fry it for another 3o to 40 seconds.
- Turn of the heat and let it cool completely.
- Then grind this to a fine powder. Put the powder in the pan and mix it really well.
- Now the sambar powder is ready. Store it in a container and use it to make sambar.
- You can skip the dried coconut now and add the fresh coconut when you make Sambar. This will increase the shelf life of the powder.