Udupi Rasam Powder or Udupi style saarina pudi recipe.
Rasam powder is most important item in our kitchen. We use this for making saaru, gojju, sambar, and more.. In my previous video I showed my mother’s way of making the rasam powder. This is udupi style rasam powder i learned from a chef from udupi. The major difference between our method and udupi style is they use coconut oil, and they don’t use pepper, and mustard seeds.
Click here to ” How to Make the Rasam/Saaru”
- ¾ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin /jeera
- 1.5 tbsp Coconut oil
- 25 Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Methi seeds/
- 45 to 50 byadagi red chillies
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a pan on medium low heat, roast the coriander seeds until it sputters and transfer this to a plate.
- Keep the pan back on the stove, add 1 tsp oil, roast cumin seeds, add curry leaves too. Roast it until the curry leaves becomes crisp.transfer this to a plate.
- Keep the pan back on the stove, add 1/4 tsp oil, roast the methi seeds until it sputters. transfer this to a plate.
- Keep the pan back on the stove, add ½ tbsp oil, roast the red chillies until the chillies becomes warm.
- Add all other ingredients to this warm chillies. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Grind it this mix to fine powder.
- Once it is cooled completely, store it in a airtight container and use it when you make the rasam.