Vangibath powder is the most versatile and must to have readymade powder in every south Indian kitchen. This great recipe from my Mother, who makes excellent Rasam, Sambhar and Vangibath powder . Vangi meaning brinjal /eggplant, in kannada badanekAyi. Vangibath will taste goos only when you have a good vangibath powder. Here is simple delicious recipe.
Preparing masala rice using this vangibath powder using Vangi(badanekayi) is vangibath. The powder we prepare can be used to make varieties of rice dishes.
Some of the dishes which calls for the powder – you may be interested in
Ingredients for Vangibath powder:
- 2 tablespoon oil ಎಣ್ಣೆ
- 1½ cups coriander seeds/dhania ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ
- ½ cup channa dal ಕಡ್ಲೆಬೇಳೆ
- ½ cup urad dal ಉದ್ದಿನ್ಬೇಳೆ
- 8 to 10 inch cinnamon stick ಚಕ್ಕೆ
- 5 to 6 cloves ಲವಂಗ
- 25 red chillies (smooth skin variety which is gives hotness -also called guntur red chilli)
- 55 to 60 byadgi red chillies (wrinkled skin variety which gives good color) If byadgi chillies are not available, use around 50 of the other variety.
Method for making Vangibath powder:
- Heat the oil in the pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add channa dal and urad dal.
- Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add cinnamon, cloves, and red chillies. Roast it until the chilies becomes warm.
- Finally add coriander seeds,mix well. Fry for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Then grind it to a fine powder.
- Vangibath powder is now ready. You can store it and use it to make varieties of rice dishes.
Please watch the video for tips and details: