Kaayi saasive anna is very traditional rice dish. Very simple to make with very few ingredients. As the mustard seeds are one of the main ingredients I should mention few health benefits of this tiny seeds. It has almost all Vitamins like A, B1, B2, B3, B6, Vitamin E, K, along with calcium,potassium , phosphorous and much more. Mustard seeds aids in digestion, it is antiseptic, and antiviral. No wonder our ancestors were using this seeds in their everyday meals!
Now to the recipe: Rice dish with rich flavor of mustard and taste of coconut, super delicious and healthy food,
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 4 to 6 green chillies OR
- 5 to6 red chillies OR 4 to 5 green chillies and 2 red chillies
- Gooseberry size tamarind(wash and soak in water)
- ½ to 1 TBSP jaggery
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Little water to grind
- 3 TBSP oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 TBSP urad dal
- ½ tbsp chana dal
- 3 to 4 TBSP peanuts
- 1 red chilli (broken into 2 pieces)
- Curry leaves
- Spread the cooked rice on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under “For Grinding “ along with soaked tamarind water to a relatively coarse paste. Keep it ready. (Add water if needed.)
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. Once it pops add urad dal, chana dal and peanuts.
- Fry it until dal turns golden brown. Now add broken red chilli and curry leaves mix it.
- Now add the masala and mix it well and cook it until the raw smell goes off and when you see the oil bubbling. Now add the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Cover it and cook it for 5 to 8 minutes on very low heat. And then turn off the heat.
- Decorate with grated coconut coriander leaves and Enjoy!