Easy and healthy Nellikai chitranna recipe / Amla rice recipe with detailed video instruction.
Benefits of Amla is enormous. Whether we eat raw or cooked the way we consume doesn’t matter. Incorporate Amla / gooseberry / nellikai in your diet through pickles, thokku, Amla juice, tambuli , nellikai Leha, and this amazing rice dish Amla rice or nellikai chitranna.
Gooseberry / amla are rich source of vitamin C along with many minerals, calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, Vitamin B Complex and carotene. Amla fresh and dried are used in Ayurvedic medicine. According to Ayurveda, Amla balances all three doshas. Also used for hair care, eye care, helps in calcium Absorption, treating menstrual cramps, helps in digestion and absorption of food and also strengthens the heart muscle and so on…
This Nellikai chitranna is gluten free Vegan and No Onion No Garlic rice dish. Best quick lunch box recipe.
Try this Nellikai chitranna ( ನೆಲ್ಲಿಕಾಯಿ ಚಿತ್ರಾನ್ನ )
Ingredients for making nellikai chitranna:
- 1 cup (250 ml) sona masoori rice
- 2 cup water ( to cook the rice)
- 5 bettada nellikayi / Gooseberry / amla
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds / ellu / til
- around 8 byadagi red chillies
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp kadle bele / chana dal
- 1 tsp uddina bele / urad dal
- 1 to 2 tbsp kadlekayi bija / shenga / peanuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp sarina pudi/ rasam powder
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafetida
- 1 dried red chilli (broken)
- Wash and pressure cook the rice along with 2 cups of water on medium high heat, Turn off the heat after 2 to 3 whistles.
- Cut the nellikai / amla, remove the seeds , grind the amla pieces along with red chillies and sesame seeds to a fine paste
- Then add 2 to 3 tbsp coconut and grind it again
To make the nellikai Chitranna:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- once the oil is hot add mustards seeds, after it pops add dals and peanuts, after the dals turn golden brown add broken red chilli, curry leaves, and turmeric powder, mix it well
- To this add the nellikai masale paste, fry it on low heat until the raw smell disappears
- Once the mix becomes dry add rasam powder, fry it for 30 seconds, then add salt
- finally add salt and jaggery, mix it well and turn off the heat
- Now add cooked rice , chopped curry leaves, mix it.
- Now add the coconut oil, and coconut. Mix it well. Nellikayi chitranna is ready to serve.