Kayi Gojju – recipe with detailed video instruction.
Kayi Gojju – as the name itself says Gojju using Kayi or fresh coconut as main ingredient. When we had potluck My friend Nalini brought this gojju and I instantly fell in love with the gojju, I got this recipe from her and sharing the same with you all. This is one of the iyengar recipes. This Iyengar kayi gojju goes well with rice, rotti and chapathi as well.
This is No onion No garlic gojju.
If you are interested in variety gojju recipe: CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making kayi gojju:
- 2 tbsp kadale bele
- 2 tbsp uddina bele/urad dal
- Medium lemon size tamarind and jaggery to balance the sour(here I am using 3 tbsp jaggery)
- 7 to 8 guntur or byadagi red chillies
- ½ tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh coconut
- 4 to 5 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sarina pudi/Rasam powder
- curry leaves – few
- peanut size – hing
- Around 2 cups of water ( for grinding the gojju)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies
- Soak the tamarind and keep it ready
- Heat the pan on medium heat, dry roast chana dal, urad dal, and red chillies until the dals turn golden color.
- Once the dals turns golden color, add mustard seeds, hing and coriander seeds.
- Roast it for few seconds. Then add coconut and fry it for a minute. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once this mix is cooled completely, grind it to a coarse paste adding enough water( I used around 1¼ cup)
To make the Kayi Gojju:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, after it splutters add red chillies and curry leaves,
- Reduce the heat , squeeze the tamarind pulp to the oggarane, add enough water and extract all the pulp. To this add jaggery, add salt, sarina pudi/rasam powder, mix it well and let it boil for a minute or 2
- After 2 minutes, – add the coarse ground paste to this, add water to the mixer jar, add that too.
- Mix it well, and stir it continuously for few seconds and allow it to boil until gojju leaves the oil by stirring it in between.
- if you want more liquid form you can add water at this time and let it boil until you see the oil on the sides of the pan and then turn off the heat,
- you can use Kayi gojju as side dish for rotti, chapathi and rice.