Menthya Gojju or methi seeds gojju is very delicious, healthy side dish for Rice, chapathi and rotti.
This gojju is great for short travel as well.
Menthya Gojju is a traditional karnataka/mysore style recipe, tasty with health benefits.
Methi seeds / menthya / fenugreek seeds have lots of medicinal value. They are loaded with antioxidants. These seeds promote healthy hair, and help to relieve discomfort due to arthritis. They also help to avoid constipation and aids in liver function and digestion. It helps in reduction of cholesterol and removal of toxins from the body.
This menthya gojju is vegetarian, vegan, gluten free side dish which goes well with rice, rotti and chapathi.
To make this as travel dish, fry menthya with little more oil and cook it until the oil leaves the gojju. Best with rotis, chapathis, tortillas and rice.
Ingredients for making menthya gojju:
- ¼ cup menthya/ fenugreek seeds /methi
- little turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbsp jaggery ( add more or less depends on your taste
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds( for seasoning)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- lemon size jaggery
- 1.5 to 2 cups of water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp hurigadale / fried gram dal
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 4 to 5 green chillies(cut)( fried in oil)
- key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- heat 1 to 1.5 oil in a pan on medium low heat, fry the cut green chillies, once they turn white,transfer it from the oil to a plate.
- To the same oil add methi seeds, fry it on low heat until the menthya sputters and turn golden brown,
- now add curry leaves, around 1 to 1.5 cups of water, and turmeric powder, mix it and let it boil in medium low heat until the methi seeds are cooked well.
- While it is boiling, grind coconut, fried green chilli, coriander leaves, salt, hurigadale, mustard seeds and soaked tamarind along with the water to a fine paste. Add more water if needed
- Add jaggery , mix it well, cover it and cook it on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir it in between
- Once it has boiled for 15 minutes or so, turn off the heat.
To prepare the seasoning:
- heat remaining oil in a ladle, once hot add little hing, mustard seeds. After it pops add broken red chilli pieces, turn off the heat, add curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to the gojju and mix it.
- Enjoy this healthy dish with hot rice, rotis, rotti and chapatis or side dish.
- if you fry menthya in little more oil and cook the gojju until it becomes real thick, it can stay for 3 to 4 days. Best for short trips.