Health Benefits for Horse Gram
Horse Gram is rich in minerals, especially iron, calcium and phosphorus. On the vitamin side, it is very rich B-Complex. Since it falls into the legume family, it is rich in both fiber and proteins. It is also contains polyphenols and antioxidants.
- Horse gram is very beneficial for patients with ulcer, diarrhea, hemorrhoids/Piles.
- Horse gram is a great diuretic.
- Horse gram is documented in Ayurveda to be beneficial to patients with respiratory issues, including Asthma and Bronchitis.
- Reduces Acidity.
- Excellent home remedy for rheumatic pain.
Note: However, it is not suitable for pregnant women and people who are suffering from tuberculosis.
Ingredients for Horse Gram Chutney Powder:
- 1 cup Horse gram or huraLi (ಹುರುಳಿ)
- ½ cup grated dry coconut (ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ ತುರಿ)
- 2 TBSP Jaggery (ಬೆಲ್ಲ )
- 12 to 15 byadagi red chillies ಬ್ಯಾಡಗಿ ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ
- small lemon sized tamarind ಹುಣಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು
- 1 tsp salt ಉಪ್ಪು
- 10 to 15 curry leaves ಕರಿಬೇವು
- ½ tsp oil ಎಣ್ಣೆ
- pinch of hing ಇಂಗು
Yields around 1.5 cups of Chutney Powder.
How to Make Horse Gram Chutney Powder:
- Dry roast the horse gram until you get a nice aroma, then keep it aside.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add hing and curry leaves.
- Fry it until the curry leaves become dry.
- Add red chillies and fry it until they become warm.
- Turn off the heat and add all the other ingredients. Mix well and let it cool.
- Grind the mix to a moderately fine consistency.
- Transfer it to a bowl, mix again and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Finally, store it in a airtight container.
Enjoy this Chutney powder with hot rice, dosa, idli, rotis and rotti.
This Chutney powder, also popularly known as, Hurali chutney pudi, Kollu podi, Ulavalu pudi.