Malnad style green beans Palya !
Bean are the source of copper, high fiber, calcium,iron and manganese along with Vitamin C, Vitamin K! . Fresh beans can be eaten raw and it is low calorie vegetable. This
Here is simple malenaadu and south canara – Mangalore Udupi style green beans palya recipe:
- ½ kg green beans (1 lbs)
- ½ Grated fresh coconut
- 1 to 2 TBSP jaggery
- Juice of half lemon
- 4 to 6 Green chillies
- 2 to 3 TBSP chopped coriander leaves
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1½ cup water
- 2 TBSP Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
Please watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada
- Wash and cut the beans to small 1cm pieces
- Heat the oil in a big pan, once the oil is hot enough add ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Then add chana dal and urad dal, fry it until the dal turns golden brown
- Now add the cut green beans, mix it and add turmeric powder. Mix it and fry it for a minute or 2.
- Then add water, add curry leaves, and cover the pan with the lid and let it cook on the medium heat. Mix in between.
- Meanwhile, grind the green chillies in a mixer jar to a coarse texture.
- And powder the 1¼ tsp mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle, keep it ready
- Once the green beans are cooked(let there be little around TBSP water in that), add the green chilli paste, mustard seed powder,salt and jaggery powder. Mix it well.
- Fry this mix for 4 to 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Squeeze the lemon juice, add grated coconut and Mix it well.
- Green Beans palya is ready to eat with rice,chapathi….