Bendekayi Palya – Karnataka style simple palya recipe with detailed video instruction.
Okra or lady finger is a low calorie high fiber vegetable. These are rich source of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Bendekaayi/okra is very good for the weight reduction. We can prepare many delicious dishes using this super vegetables like Sambar, Kayi rasa , gojju and palya. Bendekayi palya is naturally gluten free and vegan.
Interested in these Okra recipes? Try Bendakayi Sambar, Bendekayi kayi rasa, Bendekayi gojju and Here is simple recipe for making palya or curry using okra.
- 4 cups cut okra / bendekai Wash and dry the okra completely before cutting
- 1/4 cup fresh/frozen coconut
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jaggery
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- ¼ tsp jeerige menasina pudi(optional)
- few curry leaves
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds
- Once the mustard seeds splutters add cut okra, if you are using green chillies add it before adding the cut okra.
- gently keep stirring it , add curry leaves
- After 7 to 8 minutes, add turmeric powder and jeerige menasina pudi, mix it and keep stirring it.
- Now add jaggery and salt. Mix it well
- Turn off the heat and squeeze the lemon juice. mix it and transfer it to a separate bowl.
- Finally add grated coconut and palya is ready to serve