Cabbage palya or curry is always an ignored dish. This is one of a kind curry which my mother makes it . Cabbage curry goes very well with rice, rotis and rotti. You can prepare the cabbage rice using this curry and it is perfect lunchbox rice item. This is more like kayi saasive/ coconut mustard palya. This is gluten free, vegan and NO ONION! and No Garlic side-dish.
Research say cabbage when steam cooked helps to reduce the cholesterol. Also rich in Vitamin K, and sulphur.
Here is the mustard flavored cabbage curry recipe from my mother. Apart from cabbage palya check these mouth watering cabbage recipes – cabbage pakoda, cabbage manchurian, cabbage kootu, and cabbage upma/uppittu
Ingredients for making cabbage palya:
- around 4 cup chopped cabbage
For grinding :
- 1/2 cup grated fresh/frozen coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 to 6 green chillies (slit)
- 1/2 tsp roasted methi seeds
- 1 tsp jaggery
- little tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urad dal / split black gram
- 1 tsp chana dal / split bengal gram
- few curry leaves
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- Chop the cabbage wash and soak it in water with baking soda or salt for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain the water, wash again and keep it ready
- Dry roast the menthya / fenugreek seeds on medium / medium low heat in a ladle until it sputters and turns golden brown, then turn off the heat
- Grind coconut, roasted methi seeds, jaggery, green chillies, mustard seeds, coriander leaves turmeric powder without adding water
- Or you can crush / powder the mustard seeds and roasted menthya in a mortar and pestle as well
For making palya:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it sputters add dals
- After the dals turn golden brown add the masala , fry it for 1/2 to 1 minutes.
- Now add curry leaves, chopped cabbage mix it well. Then squeeze the tamarind extract, add salt. Mix it. mostly no need to add extra water
- mix it well, reduce the heat to low, and cover it, cook it for 5 to 6 minutes. Make sure to stir in between and add 1 or 2 spoons of water if needed
- after 5 minutes… cabbage is cooked well, the water is evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Palya is ready to serve.