Long beans or yard long beans which is alasande kayi in kannada is young tender pods with very low calories and rich source of fibers, folate and Vitamins like A, C. As we know fiber rich foods help to reduce bad cholesterol. This long beans are good for pregnant women. Eating variety greens and vegetables are important for good health.
You will find the light yellow long beans and green color long beans the farmers market.
When buying these long beans make sure to buy tender, uniformly green( if it is green variety) firm but flexible ones.
Here is simple recipe of Long beans Palya which is super side dish for saaru anna / Rasam Rice, chapathi or it goes with hot rice with little ghee on top. This is No Onion No Garlic Recipe.
Ingredients for Long Beans Palya:
- 1 medium bunch long beans or 3 cups of chopped long beans
- 1 to 1½ tbsp oil
- ½ to ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp uddina bele/urad dal
- 1 tsp kadle bele/chana dal
- ½ to ¾ tsp black pepper ( or you can use only green chillies or red chillies)
- 1 to 2 red chillies for oggarane(seasoning)
- around ¾ tsp salt
- few curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves
- ½ to 1 cup water (water quantity depends on how tender the beans are )
- ¼ to ½ cup fresh grated coconut
- Wash and cut the long beans into small pieces ( you can put 1 small onion too)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds. after it splutters add dals.
- As the dals turn golden brown, add red chillies , and chopped long beans along with water, curry leaves and salt.
- Mix it, cover it and cook it on medium heat until all the water evaporates and beans well cooked( if not add more water and let it cook)
- Crush the pepper using mortar and pestle and keep it ready
- After 7 to 8 minutes… beans are cooked well and water is evaporated,
- Stir it for a minute,(if you are using frozen coconut add now and stir it)
- Now add crushed pepper, coconut and mix it and turn off the heat. add coconut, mix it and palya is ready to serve.
- To this palya you can add cooked green gram whole/hesaru kaalu or moth bean or fresh peas, fresh corn as well.
- You can add onion as well.