Nugge soppu hesaru kaaLu Palya / Moringa Leaves and green gram Palya recipe with detailed video instructions.
I hope you have tried Moringa leaves rotti / nugge soppina rotti . Here is an another simple yet delicious and healthy side dish using moringa leaves – nugge soppu hesaru kaaLu palya. This dry curry can be eaten as breakfast or evening snack/ dinner as weight loss food. Moringa leaves / nugge soppu is heat to the body, hence to balance that we are using green gram / hesaru kaalu in this recipe.
Mung beans / green gram are good for weight loss due to its low fat content, and high amounts of protein and fiber. This helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood system. The complex carbohydrates help with regulating blood sugar levels. It prevents rapid rises in blood sugar levels after eating a meal. Mung beans are considered to have many anti-cancer properties.
Nugge soppu or Moringa or drumstick leaves are very nutritious. Some of the benefits of these leaves are – these are rich in calcium, iron, Vitamin A,- good for eyes, anti toxic, anti diabetic, anti inflammatory and drinking the juice helps in relieving pain, apply the leaves paste over the piles to relieve pain as well.
For pregnant women drumsticks are good not the leaves.
Try this healthy and tasty palya recipe.
Try another gluten free, vegan Moringa leaves rotti recipe
Ingredients for nugge soppu hesaru kaaLu Palya:
- ½ cup green gram / hesaru kaaLu / Moong beans
- Wash and soak the beans in 1.5 cup water overnight or 6 to 8 hours
- 1 big bunch of drumstick leaves, separate the leaves and wash, chop and keep it ready
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 3 tsp oil
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 to 4 red chillies or green chillies
- few curry leaves
- around 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- wash the soaked green gram once again, transfer the beans to an another pan,
- pressure cook this along with 2 to 3 tbsp water, 1/4 tsp salt on medium high heat. Turn off the heat after 1 whistle.
Making the Palya:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium / medium low heat
- Keep stirring as we add the ingredients – as the jeera changes it color add red chillies, chopped onions, remaining salt,turmeric powder, let it cook for a minute or so.
- After the onion is done add curry leaves, chopped drumstick leaves, mix it and stir it for a minute.
- After a minute, add 1 to 2 tbsp water, mix it, cover it and cook it on low flame for 2 minutes, Mix in between .
- Once the leaves are cooked well, now add cooked green gram, mix it well.
- Add grated coconut, mix it and cover it ,allow it to cook on low heat for a minute and then turn off the heat
- Green gram – drumstick leaves palya is ready to serve. you can eat this as breakfast, side dish or healthy evening snack