Simple yet delicious soppina palya with sabsige soppu and menthya soppu. Easy to make greens palya with onion, baby dill, methi / fenugreek leaves. Both greens are good for nursing mothers as well. Skip onion if you are serving this palya to new mother.
Benefits of baby dill or sabbasige soppu:
Dill leaves/sabsige soppu is very healthy greens, helps to boost the digestion, helps in reducing insomnia, menstrual and respiratory discomforts and so on. Our Ayurvedic doctor said chewing on handful of the raw dill greens everyday helps to protect against the arthritis.
Methi leaves are rich in iron, Vitamin K and C. They help to prevent anemia.
Ingredients for soppina palya:
- 1 big bunch of methi leaves ( washed and drained)
- 1 big bunch of baby dill / sabbasige soppu ( washed and drained)
- 2 medium size onions -finely chopped
- 1/4 cup or more grated fresh coconut
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 4 finely chopped green chillies( more or less)
- 1/2 tbsp powdered jaggery ( optional)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele / urad dal
- 1/2 tsp kadle bele / chana dal
- few curry leaves
- Finely chop the greens and finely chop the onions and keep it ready
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, after it pops add dals.
- Once the dal turns golden brown add green chillies, turmeric powder and curry leaves, fry it for few seconds, now add chopped onion, fry it until the onions slightly changes the color( around 1/2 minute)
- Add chopped greens, mix it well.
- cook the greens on low heat, stirring in between
- After around 15 minutes – add salt, jaggery and mix it
- Finally add coconut , mix it and turn off the heat
- After turning off the heat add lemon juice. Mix it , serve it as side dish
- To get the dry greens curry t is important to completely drain the water before you chop it.
- you can add cooked green gram / hesaru kalu, madike kaaLu , kadale kaaLu…