Veg Makhanwala or vegetable Makhani is very tasty, buttery side dish for our indian breads like chapathi, roti and paratas. As the name says it is prepared with vegetables and makhan means Butter. Here in this recipe I have used beans, carrots and peas along with tangy tomatoes and onion. You can add cauliflower, potatoes too.
Very delicious and kids will love this side dish. DO give it a try.
- ½ cup cut carrots(wash and peel the skin and then cut into small cubes)
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup peas
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 green chillies
- ½ cup cut beans
- ½ tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 cashews
- 1 tsp poppy seeds / gasagase
- 2 tbsp methi leaves or you can use 1 tbsp kasoori methi
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- around 1.5 cups water
- 1 to 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- lemon/lime juice (little)
- 3/4 tbsp oil
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- Pressure cook beans, carrots, peas along with little water on medium heat (turn off the heat after 1 whistle)
- heat ½ to ¾ tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat, fry onion, then add tomatoes, green chillies, fry it until the tomatoes are cooked. turn off the heat.
- Powder coriander seeds, cashews, poppy seeds in a mixer
- To this powder add 3/4 of the cooked tomato, onion and grind it to a fine paste
- Put this ground masala to the remaining onion tomato mix. add water to mixer jar and pour that too.
- Next add the cooked vegetable, salt, red chilli powder and jaggery, enough water to get the required consistency. Boil this on medium heat.
- Add butte and let it boil
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in ladle to fry the methi leaves, if you have kasoori methi add that.
- Once the raw smell of the methi disappears , add this to the veg makhanwala
- add chopped coriander leaves, turn off the heat and squeeze some lemon juice.
- Veg Makhanwala is ready to serve with rotis and paratas,