Alasande kalu vada or alasande vade or Black eyed beans bonda recipe with detailed video instructions,
Alasande kalu or cowpeas or black eyed peas are protein rich, fiber rich beans . Here is the simple yet delicious bonda or vada recipe which is gluten free, vegan and no onion no garlic snack.
Ingredients for making alasande kalu vada:
- 1 cup alasande kaLu/black eyed beans /cowpeas
- 2¼ cup water or enough water to soak the beans
- 2 tbsp coconut pieces
- around 4 green chillies – finely chopped
- 1 tsp omkaLu/ajwain
- ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- around 20 peppercorns coarsely crushed or 1 tsp pepper powder
- finely chopped curry leaves
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Wash and soak the alasande kalu in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight
- drain the water from the soaked beans and grind it to a fine paste by adding little by little water
- transfer it to a bowl , consistency should be like this – more like uddina vada batter
- to this add salt, pepper powder, curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves, coconut pieces and ajawin, Mix it well
- consistency of the vada batter. You can deep fry in the shape of the vada or you can fry this like bonda.
- Heat enough oil to fry the vadas in a pan on medium low heat.
- take a tbsp or 1.5 tbsp batter and gently drop into the hot oil one by one, fry it until it becomes golden brown on all sides by flipping
- When the vadas turn golden brown on all sides, remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel or colander
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter
- Eat hot vadas with chutney or as it is.