Ambode or dal vada or chana dal vade using air fryer. No Deep Frying !
Air fryer is new innovation for frying without or very minimal use of oil. It tastes very good and easy to make with no oil.
Here is the recipe for Ambode using the Air fryer
Ingredients for making Ambode using sir fryer:
- 1/2 cup split bengal gram / kadale kaalu
- wash and soak the dal / bele for 4 hours or more in 1.5 cups of water
- 2 to 3 tbsp of chopped mint leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 medium size onion
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- water for soaking the dal and for the ambode mix
- 2 tsp ghee
- cook the soaked dal along with the water in a pan on medium low heat. Cook it for around 15 minutes
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan on medium heat, once hot add jeera,finely chopped green chillies, fry it for few seconds and then add chopped onion, fry it for a minute and add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, fry it for few seconds and turn off the heat
- After 15 minutes on medium low heat – the dal is cooked to the required consistency. turn off the heat.
- Drain the water from the cooked dal using a colander toa pan / bowl. ( you can use this water to make rasam or add it to sambar )
- Powder this drained kadlebele / chanadal as shown to a coarse consistency, add it to the onion mix. To this add red chilli powder, salt, mix it and add coconut and mix it well
To make the ambode:
- Grease the air fryer pan.
- now take 1 to 2 tbsp of the ambode mix, make it a ball, then flatten it using the palm. keep it in the greases air fryer pan one by one.
- if you feel ambode mix is dry sprinkle some water and mix it
- Once you keep enough ambode in the pan, keep it in the air fryer, lock it
- Set the temperature to 200 and timer to 20 minutes, after 10 minutes flip.
- After 13 to 14 minutes — or once the ambode turns golden brown on both sides , reduce the temperature setting to 120 degrees until the timer is done
- Now the ambode is ready, transfer it onto a plate
- Serve hot .