Moong dal kachori recipe with detailed video instruction.
Kachori is deep fried snack made with moong dal and spices. Kachoris are one of the popular north indian street snack. Evening tea with kachori is just awesome. Kachoris can be stored in a airtight container for a week. You can serve this with green chutney, sweet chutney , some sev, chopped onion, tomato and cilantro on top .
Here is the recipe.
Ingredients Moong dal Kachori:
For the Dough:
- 2 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oil
- around 1/2 cup water (quantity depends on the consistency of the dough)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp omkalu/ajwain
- 1/2 tsp jeera powder
- 5 finely chopped green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger(grated)
- 1/2 cup Split green gram / hesaru bele / Moong dal
- around 4 tbsp oil for frying the bele /moong dal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds powder/dhania powder
- 1 tsp somp powder / fennel seeds powder /saunf powder
- 5 almonds (chopped)
- 4 cashews (chopped)
- 2 tbsp grated dry coconut
- juice of 1/2 lemon(optional)
- 1/2 tbsp jaggery powder (optional)
- and oil to deep fry the kachori
- wash and soak it in 1 cup water for 2 to 3 hours
To prepare the Dough:
- Take the maida in a bowl, add omkalu / ajwain by rubbing these seeds between fingers as shown
- add salt, and oil. mix it without adding water
- now add water little by little mix it until you get the soft dough
- cover it and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and grind it to coarse consistency
- Once oil is hot enough, add chopped green chillies, grated ginger, fry it for few seconds
- Now add the dal / bele paste , fry it until the water evaporates
- after 5 minutes – add chopped coriander leaves . fry it
- once the water is evaporated, add saunf powder, dhania powder, jeera powder and salt, mix it well. fry it on low heat
- finally add grated dried coconut, chopped nuts and jaggery, mix it well and turn off the heat
- The mix has to be dry as shown. Add lemon juice and mix it, allow it to cool.
Frying the Kachori:
- knead the dough one more time. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
- Take a portion of the dough, mold the dough to the shape of a cup as shown in the video.
- place around 1 tbsp of the filling and bring the edges together towards the top and twist it .
- flatten it and keep it ready.
- OR you can roll the portion of the dough using rolling pin and fill the stuffing as well.
- you can roll the portion of the dough using rolling pin and fill the stuffing as well. Then slowly flatten it into a thick disc.
- once the oil is hot enough,( check by adding little bit of dough, it has to come up slowly.) add the prepared kachori.
- Fry the kachoris on medium low or low heat. Once it is puffed , flip the kachori. fry it both sides until it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Once they turn golden brown on both sides, remove the kachori , transfer it onto a colander
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough and filling