Madduru Vade is a very popular snack and unique to the state of karnataka. The name comes from the the town Maddur, which is in between the cities Mysore and Bangalore.
- 2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup coarse rava
- 4 TBSP maida/all purpose flour
- 1 big or / 2 medium size onion cut into small pieces /or 3 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 to 10 green chillies (finely chopped) or more
- around 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- handful of curry leaves (chopped)
- ¾ cup water
- Oil to fry
Makes around 25 Maddur Vade.
- Take rice flour, rava, salt, hing, and red chilli powder in a bowl.
- Warm the maida on medium heat. Turn off the heat .
- Add it to the dry ingredients.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil and pour it onto the mix with spoon first and then with your hand
- Add all other ingredients (EXCEPT WATER) mix thoroughly with hand.
To make Madduru vade:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Divide the mix into 2 parts (since onion has a tendency to leave the water,we are dividing the mix and making dough 2 times)
- Mix one part by adding water little by little.(around 5 tbsp of water)
- Take a lemon size dough, make it into a small ball, press it onto your palm to make a circle and about ¼ cm thick.
- Once the oil is hot enough(check by adding a little dough to the oil, it has to come up immediately) add this prepared vada to it. Make 3 to 4 vade, one by one and add it to the oil.
- Deep fry it until both side turns light golden brown color.(usually it takes 8 to 9 minutes).
- Remove it from the oil and place it onto a paper towel to drain extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough and the mix.
- Enjoy the Maddur vade with Coconut Chutney.